Other questions about the Pupil Manager have been answered in the FAQs below:
Q. My school is running SIMStoPTP. What end of year procedures should I follow?
A. The golden rules to follow are:
- Disable all SIMStoPTP modules over the summer. (i.e. at the end of the summer term)
- In September when you know that your SIMS system is up-to-date and all pupils have been rolled forward one year, you need to move all pupils up a year on PTP. You do this by navigating to Pupil Manager > Options > Move all pupils up by 1 year.
- Re-enable the required SIMStoPTP modules.
Merely allowing SIMStoPTP to update the year group on PTP will not archive campaigns on PTP and will corrupt the campaign management system. Once the year group has been promoted on SIMS and manually moved up a year on PTP then SIMStoPTP will continue to update pupils who are 'On Roll' on SIMS.
'Leavers' on SIMS who remain on Pupil Tracking (PT) will not have their personal details or classes/sets updated. If you wish to keep these pupils on PT then you can import new sets for them in the normal way through the import interface. For example, you have moved all pupils up a year group on PT and you want to keep Y14 on the system. At present they have Y13 set codes e.g. 13/ma1, 13/en3 etc. Because they are 'Leavers' on SIMS their sets will not be updated and will remain Y13 set codes showing up in the current Y13 groups. By far the simplest thing to do is to export the set codes for Y14 to Excel, do a find and replace on the set codes to produce e.g. 14/ma1, 14/en3 etc... and re-import them into PT. Alternatively if you do not wish to keep this year group on PT then you can delete them through Pupil Manager > Options > Delete a year group.
Q. What is the best process to follow when updating sets at the beginning of a new school year (For schools not using any integration)?
A. It will help if you follow the steps below:
- Decide if you wish to keep pupils who have recently left the school e.g. Y12 or Y14. If you wish to delete them you can do so through Pupil Manager > Options > Delete a year group. If you wish to backup their data first you can do so through the Export Manager
- Ensure you have moved all pupils up a year. This MUST be done through Pupil Manager > Options > Move all pupils up by one year. This also archives any campaigns on the system.
- Delete all existing sets. This can be done through Pupil Manager > Options > Delete sets for all years in all subjects. The import sets tool updates sets currently on the system. To ensure that you are starting from a clean slate it is always recommended that you delete all sets before importing new ones
Import your new sets from your timetable package in the normal way.
Q. What is the best way to handle pupils who have left the school but who may return?
A. If you know that a pupil may return to the school then you can simply put them in a different form/tutor group e.g. 'LEFT' and remove all their sets. This way they will not show up in any sets or reports but the data held for them on Pupil Tracking will remain on the system. If they return to the school then you can issue them with new set codes and put them back in an appropriate form/tutor group. Note, such pupils will still show up in any School Favourite Groups that you create if they meet given criteria.